The tournament took place from June 11 to June 17 at Rice University with 73 teams. This was the last NAC sponsored by Texaco, and the televised rounds included future Temptation Island host Mark L. Walberg as the host, displacing a visibly irate Chip Beall. After three prelim matches, the top 28 teams by record and PPG advanced to single-elimination playoffs.
One tossup from the finals was "How did pianist Van Clieburn become an international celebrity?" The answer was, "He won the Moscow Tchaikovsky Competition in 1958." Another question in the tournament was "Name three of the five most common classes of arthropoda."
Other questions from this tournament:
- "Name the oldest continually inhabited settlement in North America."
- "Name the only country whose flag has different designs on the front and back."
- "Identify the candy bar from the following description: overlooked her kindly tavern."
- "What American financier and presidential adviser coined the term "cold war?""
- "Under what circumstances may a pitcher strike out four or more batters in one inning?"
- "What size sewing machine needle is used with No. 70 cotton?"
- "How long did the Hundred Years' War last?"
- "If Washington, D.C., became a state, what would its new name be?"
- "The relative error in the measure of the diameter of a sphere was 3 percent. Find the relative error of the result obtained from calculating the volume of a sphere."
- "Identify the lowest pitched string on a violin."
- "Name any nine of the 12 tribes of Israel."
From the Texaco press release.
- 1. Aiken Aiken, SC
- 2. Alexandria Alexandria, LA
- 3. All Saints St. Thomas, VI
- 4. Antonito Antonito, CO
- 5. Bellaire Bellaire, TX
- 6. Bishop Kelley Tulsa, OK
- 7. Booker T. Washington Tulsa, OK
- 8. Brazoswood Clute, TX
- 9. Byram Hills Armonk, NY
- 10. Caesar Rodney Camden, DE
- 11. Centennial Utica, NE
- 12. Cistercian Prep Irving, TX
- 13. City Grand Rapids, MI
- 14. Cumberland Toledo, IL
- 15. Daviess County Owensboro, KY
- 16. Dorman Spartanburg, SC
- 17. Douglas Freeman Richmond, VA
- 18. Duncan Duncan, OK
- 19. East Brunswick East Brunswick, NJ
- 20. Eden Prairie Eden Prairie, MN
- 21. Edgemont Scarsdale, NY
- 22. Edmond Memorial Edmond, OK
- 23. Eisenhower Russell, PA
- 24. Florien Florien, LA
- 25. Foothill Santa Ana, CA
- 26. Ft. Worth Country Day Ft. Worth, TX
- 27. Gage Gage, OK
- 28. General McLane Edinboro, PA
- 29. Governor's School Richmond, VA
- 30. Grant Dry Prong, LA
- 31. Hartsville Hartsville, SC
- 32. Henderson West Chester, PA
- 33. Holland Holland, MI
- 34. Hutsonville Hustonville, IL
- 35. Indian Springs Indiana Spring, AL
- 36. Irmo Columbia, SC
- 37. James Island Charleston, SC
- 38. Jesuit New Orleans, LA
- 39. McKinley Baton Rouge, LA
- 40. Memorial Houston, TX
- 41. Mobridge Mobridge, SD
- 42. Monsignor Kelly Beaumont, TX
- 43. Madison Central Madison, MS
- 44. Mandeville Mandeville, LA
- 45. Manheim Lancaster, PA
- 46. Master's Academy Maitland, FL
- 47. MACCRAY Clara City, MN
- 48. Myers Park Charlotte, NC
- 49. Northern Highlands Allendale, NJ
- 50. Plano Plano, TX
- 51. Pocono Mt. Pocono, CO
- 52. Purdy Purdy, MO
- 53. Robert E. Lee Midland, TX
- 54. Saratoga Springs Saratoga Spgs., NY
- 55. Shawnee Shawnee, OK
- 56. Smoky Hills Aurora, CO
- 57. Southside Ft. Smith, AR
- 58. St. John's Danvers, MA
- 59. St. John's School Houston, TX
- 60. Sullivan Sullivan, IL
- 61. Sulphur Sulfur, LA
- 62. Temple Temple, TX
- 63. Terrebone Houma, LA
- 64. Vanguard Ocala, FL
- 65. Walton Marietta, GA
- 66. West Carteret Morehead City, NC
- 67. Westhill Stamford, CT
- 68. Westlake Westlake, OH
- 69. White Plains White Plains, NY
- 70. William Tennent Warminster, PA
- 71. Woodberry Forest Wdbry. Frst. VA
- 72. Wylie Abilene, TX
- 73. Ysleta El Paso, TX