High School Academic Pyramid Questions
|President or CEO||Mike Cheyne (President and Acting Chief Editor), Tommy Casalaspi (Vice President), Jacob O'Rourke (Orders and Host Contact), Shawn Pickrell (Treasurer), Jonathan Ratliff (Chief Technical Officer)|
HSAPQ (High School Academic Pyramid Questions) is a question writing company which started in 2008 and merged with the Scholastic Bowl Company of Virginia the following year.
In the 2008-09 season, HSAPQ produced four ACF-format sets, one Four-Quarter format set, and two old-NSC-format sets of distinct material for invitationals. In 2009-10 there were three ACF-format invitationals, in 2010-11 through 2012-2013 there were two, and in 2013-2014 there was one. Various four-quarter and custom format sets are produced each year using the VHSL questions as a base.
Since 2009, HSAPQ has been the question provider for VHSL; their VHSL questions have been lauded by schools such as Maggie Walker and Christiansburg for their improved quality. From 2011 to 2014, HSAPQ was the question provider for the National History Bowl, and produced its qualifying sets and the Bee as well. HSAPQ's VHSL questions form the basis of the official state championship sets provided to Ohio and Michigan in 2013.
Since 2010, HSAPQ runs the National All-Star Academic Tournament each June for all-star teams from individual states or national provinces.
In 2014, HSAPQ used VHSL questions as the base for new HSAPQ Regionals and HSAPQ State championship tournaments in New York, Maryland, North Carolina, California, Massachusetts, and Washington, D.C.
In 2014-2015, the editors for HSAPQ were:
- Matt Bollinger (President (since March 5, 2015); mythology subject editor; set editor for tournament set & NASAT)
- Tommy Casalaspi (Vice President & Chief Editor (since March 5, 2015); literature subject editor)
- Matt Weiner (History, religion, philosophy, social science, geography, current events, trash, general knowledge, and foreign language subject editor; set editor for VHSL and NHBB sets) - until the 5th of March Incident
- Auroni Gupta (arts subject editor)
- Joelle Smart (biology subject editor)
- Cody Voight (non-biology science subject editor)
- Dwight Wynne (math calculation subject editor)
In 2013-2014, 34 writers contributed 20 or more questions to HSAPQ sets, and 90 writers contributed at least 1 question. A not-up-to-date list of HSAPQ writers may be found at http://www.hsapq.com/members .