| Location: |
|State championships||2009 IHSA, 2009 Masonic|
Carbondale High School is a public high school located in Carbondale, Illinois, a town in far southern Illinois. It also competes in Class AA, the "large school" division, of the Illinois High School Association's (IHSA) State Championship Series.
Quiz bowl at Carbondale dates to at least 1984, where they have been one of the most consistently successful teams from southern Illinois (Decatur MacArthur being the other).
In the twenty-first century, Carbondale has made a bigger commitment to excellence. More players have been attending ACE camp. The team has also ventured out to legitimate national tournaments, attending the PACE NSC in 2007 and 2008. The team did not qualify for the playoffs either year, but the A team also never posted a losing record. At the 2012 NSC, Carbondale had their best finish to date, finishing fifth after beating Dorman and TJ in tiebreaker games.
Noted Team Accomplishments
- IHSA Regional Titles (7): 2003-09
- IHSA Sectional Titles (8): 1990, 94, 96-97, 2005-07, 09
- IHSA State Championship Tournament - 4th place: 1994, 96
- IHSA State Championship Tournament - Runner-Up: 1997, 2006
- IHSA State Championship Tournament - Champion : 2009
IHSSBCA Individual Awards
The following were honored by the Illinois High School Scholastic Bowl Coaches Association (IHSSBCA) for outstanding play through their All-Sectional/All-State Program. Each sectional comprises roughly 24 geographically concentrated teams, and thus roughly 125 starting players. Through the 2006-07 season, the top ten players were recognized in each sectional,(starting with 2007-08, the number was raised to 15) with teams restricted to no more than two nominations (three nominations starting in 2007-08). There are twenty All-State awards given each year (10 First Team, 10 Second Team) in each of Illinois' two classes.
- 2001-02: Jared Burde, Rod Sanjabi
- 2002-03: Daniel Raino
- 2003-04: Josh Jackson
- 2004-05: Daniel Rendelman
- 2005-06: Jeremy Koch, Justin Stoncius
- 2006-07: Richard Liang Cui, Justin Stoncius
- 2007-08: Paul Botros, Tony Cao, Jerry Chang
- 2008-09: Paul Botros, Tony Cao, Jerry Chang
- 2009-10: Ben Chametzky, Jeremiah Monk
- 2004-05: Daniel Rendleman (2nd team)
- 2005-06: Justin Stoncius (1st team)
- 2006-07: Justin Stoncius (1st team)
- 2007-08: Paul Botros (2nd team)
- 2008-09: Tony Cao (1st team), Jerry Chang (1st team), Paul Botros (2nd team)
- 2009-10: Ben Chametzky (1st team), Jeremiah Monk (2nd team)
Playing for Team Illinois
- Justin Stoncius (2006 & 07)
- Ben Chametzky (2012)