Funn is the property exhibited by things in quizbowl which meet all of the following three conditions:
- they violate good and/or standard quizbowl practices
- someone obviously thought that their violation of good and/or standard practices was more than made up for by how fun they are
- they are not actually fun
Things which are funn include:
- "Shootouts," lightning rounds, and other departures from Tossup/Bonus format at the collegiate level
- Most Reach for the Top categories, especially "chain snappers", wherein each question is related to the answer of the previous question (most readers are only able to say 3-4 words before the next question is answered)
- Bonuses whose answers spell out a sentence when arranged in order
- Notes appended to questions relating the answer to the location in which the tournament is taking place
- Questions on haiku written in the form of a haiku, questions on limericks written in the form of a limerick, questions on Memento written backwards, etc.
- Single-elimination playoffs
- Tossups on two different things with the same name in the same tournament (e.g., the Hitchock Spellbound and the documentary Spellbound)
- Chanting things in unison
- Throwing food products
- 40-point bonus clues
- Questions about Quizbowl itself, such as rules, players, tournaments, etc.
- Every single thing that goes on at VETO
Tournaments run by Charlie Steinhice are often accused of being funn.