|Coaches||Jim R. Beland|
Vincent Massey is a public school in South Windsor, Ontario. The school participates in Reach for the Top as part of the Greater Essex County District School Board and the Windsor Schoolreach League. (Note: The Vincent Massey team that won the national championship in 1966 and 1978 was from Etobicoke, Ontario and that school no longer is in existence under that name.)
Since 2000, Massey has had a streak of local dominance that rivals the top secondary schools in Ontario. Eleven times in the last thirteen years, they won the Windsor Schoolreach League title and have been the sole representative at the Ontario Reach for the Top Championships. With a loss in the 2012 Windsor Schoolreach League playoffs, a streak of 10 straight regional championships was snapped by longtime county rival, Kingsville D.H.S. who have been their toughest competitor in the last 7 years.
After unenventful finishes in 2000(21st) and 2002(31st), Massey began to make strides in the Ontario Provincials in 2003, when they finished a mere 40 points out of a spot in the TV round. In the next three years, Massey made further strides by making the TV round every year finishing 10th ('04), 4th ('05) and 5th ('06). After a tailspin which saw them plummet to 23rd in 2007, Massey fought back into the Top 10 and equaled their best finish with a 4th place in 2008, which to date is considered Massey's best squad.
Instrumental with the team's development has been Massey's last two coaches. Greg Levack, who coached the team up until the end of the 2005 school year, helped develop the Mustangs into a top contender at the Ontario Provincials. Joining Levack in the 2005 season was the team's current coach, Jim Beland. After taking over full coaching duties, Beland has helped keep Massey in striking position of an Ontario Final, which is the long term goal of the team.
- 2000 - Finished 21st in Round Robin (5-5) 6th of 10 in Group C (Held at Queens University in Kingston)
- 2001 - Lost in Regionals (This year was a strike year and the team had no coach or practices)
- 2002 - Finished 31st in Round Robin (2-7) 9th of 10 in Group B
- 2003 - Finished 15th in Round Robin (6-3)
- 2004 - Finished 9th in Round Robin (5-2) and 10th overall. Lost in 1st Round to Lisgar
- 2005 - Finished 2nd in Round Robin (7-0) and 4th overall. Advanced as wildcard in 1st Rnd vs Father Leo J. Austin (360-340), Advanced as wildcard in 2nd Round vs. Leaside (490-320), Lost in Semifinals to Leaside (390-220)
- 2006 - Finished 6th in Round Robin (5-2) and 5th overall. Won in 1st Rounnd vs. South Secondary (360-340), Lost in 2nd Round to Assumption (470-290)
- 2007 - Finished 23rd in Round Robin (3-4) 4th of 8 in Group D
- 2008 - Finished 8th in Round Robin (5-2) 2nd of 8 in Group E and 4th overall. Won in 1st Round vs. Merivale (360-340), Advanced as wildcard in 2nd Round vs. UTS (410-280), Lost in Semifinals to Lisgar (340-190)
- 2009 - Massey A finished 24th overall (3-4) and Massey B finished 26th overall (3-4)
- 2010 - Finished 38th in Round Robin (0-7), 8th of 8 in Group E
- 2011 - Finished 27th in Round Robin (3-4), 6th of 8 in Group D
- 2012 - Lost in Regionals to Kingsville
- 2017 - Lost in Regionals to St.Joesph's
- 2018 - Finished 31st in Round Robin (0-6), 7th of 7 in Group D
This team consisted of seniors Jason Fan, Kevin St. Denis, Jon Vysocil, Taro Yamashita, Sam Howes, and Jamal Mohamud, and juniors Alistair Staffen, Seila Rizvic, Neil Lamont and Joy Wang.
The Reach team returned 3 players in Alistair Staffen (Captain), Seila Rizvic and Joy Wang and added Yining Nie, Tiger Zheng, Kylen Snow, Daniel Hu and Anthony Valvasori to round out the roster. The team was able to wrap up their 9th consecutive Windsor Title with a victory over St. Joseph's, though not as lopsided in past years. Unfortunately, despite a few close games, the team did not record a win at the Provincials, going 0-7 in Group E, 38th overall.
Four members (Nie, Zheng, Snow and Hu) returned for this addition of Massey Reach. Adding to the seniors were players Xana Ouelette, Jordyn Liebman, Noah Lewis and Shikha Kuthiala. The new edition was able to complete an unprecedented Decade of Destruction by winning their 10th consecutive Windsor Title with a win over Kingsville (led by former Massey teacher Mr. Jakobszen). At provincials, the team improved on the previous year's results by improving to 3-4 in round robin play.
Xana Ouellette returned to the team as its captain. In addition, seniors Brandin Glos, Victor Igbokwe, and Peter Sun joined the team, along with juniors Shahrukh Alvi, Sebastien Gerdun, Emmanuel Igbokwe, Christopher Mathews, Vishnu Mambakkam, and Tian Shi Li. While the team was able to finish 1st in the Round Robin schedule, the team's 10 year dominance of the league was snapped by Kingsville (once again led by former Massey teacher Mr. Jakobszen) in the playoffs.
This team consisted of seniors Kanwar Bhullar, Sofia Baert, Lynn Liu, Aishwarya Kulkarni, and Ali Nourani, as well as juniors Christopher Gregorian, Frank Gu, Brandon Chappus, Raymond Wong, Chris Clarke, Jesse Wang, and Humza Ahmed. The team finished with a 13-2 record to end the Round Robin, beat L'Essor in the semifinals, and beat St.Joesph's in the finals to win their league.
Christopher Gregorian, Frank Gu, Brandon Chappus, Chris Clarke, Raymond Wong, Jesse Wang, and Humza Ahmed returned to the team for this year. Joining them were juniors Triman Kandola, Nicolas Jirgens, Karina Munsterhjelm, and Gabriella Savva. The team finished with a 12-0 record in their league.
Triman Kandola, Nicolas Jirgens, and Gabriella Savva returned to the team for this year. Joining them were seniors Shadman Hassan, Demetre Kalmantis, and Alex-Yizhe Xie, & juniors Mengyu Qi and Kadila Adili. The team was successful in the Round Robin, but eventually fell to St. Joesph's in the playoffs. The team ended up placing 4th in the league.
Mengyu Qi and Kadila Adili returned to the team for the year. Joining them were seniors Tanner Nguyen & Lucia Wang, and juniors Vinh Nguyen, Jack Haddad, Ana Armstrong, Gurkirat Saini, Andrea Ruiz-Hernandez, & Karl Zhu. In the Round Robin portion, this team was able to sweep L'Essor, Tecumseh Vista, and Kingsville, and subsequently beat reigning league champions St.Joesph's two games to one. However, the team's defeat to Assumption 2-1 earned them the second seed in the playoffs. The team beat the 3rd-seeded L'Essor team in the semifinals, leading to a matchup against Assumption in the finals. Despite losing the first game, the team rebounded and won the series 2-1, becoming the new Windsor Schoolreach League champions. However, the team could not replicate their success at provincials, going 0-6 and placing 31st overall.
In 2005, Massey was able to advance to the semi-finals of the Provincial Reach Championships by not winning a T.V. game. In the 1st round, Massey, who went perfect in round robin and was seeded second, lost to 9th seed Father Leo J. Austin S.S. in round one. After three more games were played however, Massey's score held up for the wild-card, and they were able to move on to the quarter-finals. Massey then drew the defending and eventual two-time provincial champions Leaside in the 1st quarterfinal game. Although losing, Massey still managed a score good enough for the wildcard and moved on to the semi-finals where they once again lost to Leaside. The double wildcard was dubbed the Massey Miracle.
Other Trivia Endeavors
Another staple of trivia at Massey includes the multi-annual Trivia Night tournaments held at the school, always on a Thursday evening, going from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm. It is run by a number of teachers at Massey and a team consists of 4 members, with the following guidelines. Maximum of one Reach for the Top team member, and one staff member maximum on a team (though this rule seems to have been relaxed). There have been 6 Trivia Nights held so far. The inspiration for Trivia Night events comes from the current coach of Lisgar C.I. who Mr. Jim Beland met at a Reach for the Top Provincial tournament.
Trivia Night Winners
- 1st Trivia Night - Eric Zhao, Corey Yednoroz, Simone Zhang, Mr. Bonk
- 2nd Trivia Night - Michael Rozenbojm, George Yang, Mr. Mackenzie, Mr. Jakobszen
- 3rd Trivia Night - Ben Webber, Jesse Bauer, Simone Zhang, Mr. Bonk
- 4th Trivia Night - Michael Rozenbojm, George Yang, Jordynne Ropat, Mr. Jakobszen
- 5th Trivia Night - Corey Yednoroz, Jacqueline Sun, James Vander Voort, Mr. Yednoroz
- 6th Trivia Night - Sam Howes, David Shi, Ms. Dagg, Mr. Greenham
- 7th Trivia Night - Max Hebert, Alistair Staffen, James Vander Voort, Mr. Marontate
In addition, there was also an individual Trivia Night champion, which was held simultaneously with the 4th Trivia Night. There has yet to be another individual title given out at the subsequent Trivia Nights.
- 1st Trivia Night Individual - Corey Yednoroz
Teachers/Alumni vs. Reach Team Game
Another event on the Reach for the Top team's calendar is the annual Massey staff vs. the Reach team game. The game is usually a combination of two reach packets with a winner determined by the combined scores of the two packs.
This is historically a very closely contested competition, with the winner generally being victorious by fewer than 5 questions. The teacher team has won more often than lost, though there have been years where there has been a tie.
In the last matchup (2009), the alumni team competed and won in place of the Teachers against the Massey Squad.
Quest was a televised tournament, sponsored by various groups including Chrysler Automotive, The Toldo Group, The University of Windsor, and St. Clair College, and was the brainchild of Jack Ramieri and host Jeff Hewitt. It aired on on Cogeco 11 (local cable) for four seasons, providing the winning teams with scholarship monies. Teams from various high schools, including those from Chatham and Kent county, and not only those with Reach For The Top teams, have competed in this event. The Massey Reach for the Top team won three seasons of this competition, providing individual scholarships of $500 to $1000, totaling over $6000, to numerous Massey grads, all but two of which did not compete on the trivia team. Quest ended in 2003, but was still re-brodcasted for a few years after.
- 2000 Team - Aaron Brown (Captain), Shawn Malhotra, Aida Shahbazi, Jeremy Low, Emily Dowell, Michael Wheeler, David Dudok, William Szabo-Verzoc
- 2002 Team - Emily Dowell, Dave Dudok, Dave Fox, May Habib, Jesse Houston, Sheng-Jun Xu, Alice Li, Rafik Chekiri (Junior Member)
- 2003 Team - Sheng-Jun Xu (Captain), Eric Vyskocil, Sri Jamalapur, Maria Pontikis, Jesse Houston, Dan Ableser, Paul Marchwica, May Habib, Rafik Chekiri
- 2005 Team - Rafik Chekiri (Captain), Laura Southcott, Eric Brown, Martina Kovacevic, Derrick Tam, Emily Wunder, Michael Shelley, David Qian, Chris Oliver
- 2006 Team - Eric Brown (Captain), Michael Shelley, David Qian, Aaron Boismier, Sheila Blanken, Yin Hui, Yu Weng, Ian Tanner, Tina Poon
- 2007 Team - Aaron Boismier (Captain), Ian Tanner, Yu Weng, Benjamin Webber, James Vander Voort, Yifan Li, George Yang, Eric Zhao, Bryan Calvert
- 2008 Team - George Yang (Captain), Benjamin Webber, James Vander Voort, Yifan Li, Eric Zhao, Corey Yednoroz, Alex Heuton, Arush Kuthiala, Taro Yamashita, Sam Howes
- 2009 Team - Taro Yamashita (Captain), Sam Howes, Seila Rizvic, Joy Wang, Jamal Mahamud, Kevin St. Denis, Neil Lamont, Alistair Staffen, Dominik Jaworski(regionals only) Jason Fan(regionals only)
- 2010 Team - Alistair Staffen (Captain), Seila Rizvic, Joy Wang, Yining Nie, Tiger Zheng, Kylen Snow, Daniel Hu, Anthony Valvasori
- 2011 Team - Yining Nie, Tiger Zheng, Kylen Snow, Daniel Hu, Xana Ouelette, Jordyn Liebman, Noah Lewis, Shikha Kuthiala
- 2012 Team - Xana Ouellette (Captain), Brandin Glos, Victor Igbokwe, Peter Sun, Shahrukh Alvi, Sebastien Gerdun, Emmanuel Igbokwe, Christopher Mathews, Vishnu Mambakkam, Tian Shi Li.
- 2015 Team - Kanwar Bhullar, Sofia Baert, Lynn Liu, Aishwarya Kulkarni, Ali Nourani, Christopher Gregorian, Frank Gu, Brandon Chappus, Raymond Wong, Chris Clarke, Jesse Wang, Humza Ahmed.
- 2016 Team - Christopher Gregorian, Frank Gu, Brandon Chappus, Chris Clarke, Raymond Wong, Jesse Wang, Humza Ahmed, Triman Kandola, Nicolas Jirgens, Karina Munsterhjelm, Gabriella Savva.
- 2017 Team - Triman Kandola, Nicolas Jirgens, Gabriella Savva, Shadman Hassan, Demetre Kalmantis, Alex-Yizhe Xie, Mengyu Qi, Kadila Adili.
- 2018 Team - Mengyu Qi, Vinh Nguyen, Jack Haddad, Andrea Ruiz-Hernandez, Ana Armstrong, Tanner Nguyen (Captain), Lucia Wang, Gurkirat Saini, Kadila Adili (Regionals Only), Karl Zhu (Regionals Only)
- Note, from 2000-2011, the first four members of each year's team comprised the starting lineup at the Reach for the Top provincial championships of that year (in some cases 4th and 5th alternated).
- Note, Under 2009 team, the first 4 members were the Massey A team while the latter 4 were the Massey B team at 2009 Ontario Reach