|Maine East Demons|
Park Ridge, Illinois
|State Championships||? Masonic Championship|
Maine East High School is a public high school located in Park Ridge, Illinois, a near-north suburb of Chicago. It currently competes as a member of the Central Suburban League (CSL). It also competes in Class AA, the "large school" division, of the Illinois High School Association's (IHSA) State Championship Series.
Maine East's program was created by IHSSBCA Hall of Fame inductee, Dr. Jane A. Simmons in 1987. Dr. Simmons would coach until 1993 where the Demons would go 268-50 during that time, making trips to the IHSA State Tournament in 1988 & 1993. Maine East would finish in the quarterfinals (Elite 8) in both appearances. Following Dr. Simmons retirement, Dennis Wyatt would assume leadership of the program when the Demons would return to the State Finals two more times where the team finally broke through to place 4th in 1995. Later that year, the team finished 14th (out of 61 teams) at the 1995 Tournament of Champions hosted by ASCN. Wyatt would be inducted into the IHSSBCA Hall of Fame in 2009.
With the exception of New Trier, Maine East has claimed more Central Suburban League titles (frosh-soph and varsity combined) than any other program.
Noted Team Accomplishments
- CSL Frosh-Soph Season Champions (2): 1992-93
- CSL Frosh-Soph Tournament Champions (2): 1994, 2004
- CSL Varsity Season Champions (3): 1993, 98, 2006
- CSL Varsity Tournament Champions (4): 1991, 93-94, 97
- IHSA Regional Titles (1): 2003
- IHSA Sectional Titles (4): 1988, 93-95
- IHSA Championship Tournament Fourth Place: 1995
Maine East competes annually in the District 207 Championships with her sister schools Maine South, and Maine West. In commemoration of the District, the triangular meet is held as close to February 7 (2/07) as possible. The varisty team competes for an inscribed pewter bowl mounted onto a wood base, named in honor of Dennis Wyatt, the former coach at Maine East. The frosh-soph teams play for a perpetual plaque named in honor of Marshall Ellenstein, the retired coach at Maine West, and nationally renowned physics teacher.
East won the first varsity competition in 2006.
- Dr. Jane Simmons (1987-93)
- Dennis Wyatt (1993-2006)
- Stacey Dziedzic (2006-about 2010)
- Alaina Vasta (present)
IHSSBCA Individual Awards
The following were honored by the Illinois High School Scholastic Bowl Coaches Association (IHSSBCA) for outstanding play through their All-Sectional/All-State Program. Each sectional comprises roughly 24 geographically concentrated teams, and thus roughly 125 starting players. Through the 2006-07 season, the top ten players were recognized in each sectional,(starting with 2007-08, the number was raised to 15) with teams restricted to no more than two nominations (three nominations starting in 2007-08). There are twenty All-State awards given each year (10 First Team, 10 Second Team) in each of Illinois' two classes.
- 2001-02: George Atsaves
- 2002-03: George Atsaves, Shaun Chokshi
- 2004-05: Erin Li, Alex Zhukovitskiy
- 2005-06: Erin Li, Alex Zhukovitskiy
- 2006-07: Erin Li, Alex Zhukovitskiy
- 2007-08: Jay Patel
- Li and Zhukovitskiy are the only teammates in Illinois history to be named All-Sectional together for three seasons.
- 2001-02: George Atsaves (2nd Team)
- 2002-03: George Atsaves (1st Team)
- 2005-06: Erin Li (2nd Team)
- 2006-07: Erin Li (1st Team), Alex Zhukovitskiy (2nd Team)