Fairfield High School is a public high school located in Fairfield, Illinois; a town located in southeastern Illinois. It currently competes as a member of the Black Diamond Conference (BDC). It also competes in Class A, the "small school" division, of the Illinois High School Association's (IHSA) State Championship Series.
As a class A team in Illinois, Fairfield has had a history of distinction, being among the winningest programs since 1987. However, despite success in matches, and their ability to consistently advance to the State Championship Tournament, it is noted that Farifield has only once placed in the tournament, and fourth place at that, in 1997. Fairfield has been called "the New Trier of southern Illinois", though this analogy is decreasingly valid.
Fairfield at the NAC
Fairfield remains the last Illinois team to regularly attend the NAC, and in 2008 notably refused to consider attending the HSNCT even when money was offered for that purpose. Fairfield has been attending the NAC since at least 1997 with fair regularity. Most of its early years saw the team relegated to being ranked somewhere after 100th place, though recent years have seen the team rank much higher, reaching 14th place in 2006.
Noted Team Accomplishments
- IHSA Regional Titles (7): 2002-08
- IHSA Sectional Titles (10): 1992-93, 95-97, 2002, 04, 06-08
- IHSA Championship Tournament Fourth Place: 1997
IHSSBCA Individual Awards
- 2001-02: Joe Monge
- 2002-03: Kevin Cates, Jon King
- 2003-04: Brandon Bozarth
- 2004-05: Kendall King, Nicholas Vest
- 2005-06: Kendall King, Nicholas Vest
- 2006-07: Isaac Etheridge, Lian States
- 2007-08: Lian States
- 2003-04: Brandon Bozarth (2nd team)
- 2004-05: Kendall King (2nd team)
- 2005-06: Kendall King (2nd team); Nicholas Vest (2nd team)
- 2006-07: Isaac Etheridge (1st team); Lian States (1st team)
- 2007-08: Lian States (1st team)