No offense to whoever did it, or Solon, but is there a reason that a team photo of a random high school team is on the main landing page? It seems extremely unnecessary and seriously breaks up the flow of the page, which I believe should try to be as informative as possible. If I, a random nobody who had just heard of quizbowl, found that image on this main landing page I'd be seriously confused. - EG
- If we are okay with having an individual team shown here, would we want the specific team to rotate (similarly to how the NAQT homepage showcases different teams)? -Kevin Wang (talk) 15:54, 15 March 2021 (CDT)
- Isn't that for national champions? That would make sense if we decide to keep the image, I just really don't understand *why* it's there to begin with. -EG 3/15/2021
- I did it and no offense taken. I added pictures to some of the main pages to make this wiki more lively so that it wasn't all text. I didn't think it changed the flow of the page because the text is the same with our without the image. If you think it would be clearer if there was a better caption or if the picture was at the bottom, then feel free to make those changes, and if a few people agree with you then get rid of it. David Reinstein (talk) 16:22, 15 March 2021 (CDT)
- I'm in favor of having some kind of photo there for Reinstein's reason and also just to show what we're talking about, and I think a photo of people playing quizbowl is a good choice. I don't care what photo it is, within reason, and I'd be fine with changing it once, randomly, periodically, whatever. Just make sure the photo is licensed for such use, doesn't make anyone look foolish, isn't ridiculous, and is taken down if anyone depicted requests it. Jonah (talk) 17:36, 15 March 2021 (CDT)
- I agree with Jonah. There's no reason we can't switch this around between different teams or players if we have good photos to use. Fred Morlan (talk) 21:08, 24 March 2021 (CDT)
Introduction to Quizbowl
The current Introduction to Quizbowl sidebar seems a bit outdated. Suggestions for things to add/replace? I think "How to Get Good at This Game" has gotten a bit dated and could be replaced with "Quizbowl Improvement Methods." "Toss-Up Bonus Format" also seems redundant with "Toss-up". And I'm not sure why "Trivia" is still up there by itself; it might be better to have a "Trivia vs. Quizbowl" article instead to make that distinction more clear. Chris C.