Missouri Scholars Academy Scholar Bowl
The Missouri Scholars Academy is a summer program for gifted rising high school juniors founded to stimulate intellectual development. One feature of MSA life is the Scholar Bowl tournament, a quizbowl event in which members of the various houses at MSA compete for a student championship. The top student team then competes against staff, faculty, and RAs.
From 2010 to 2015, Olympia Academic Competition Questions wrote the questions for the entirety of the tournament.
Many current active quizbowlers, coaches and other career standouts are connected in some fashion to the MSA Scholar Bowl program:
- Jason Mueller (MSA '99; Lincoln '01; Missouri)
- Terin Budine (MSA '06; Savannah '08)
- Alex Dzurick (MSA '06; South Callaway '08; Missouri '12; MSA administration '12)
- Charles Hang (MSA '07; Francis Howell Central '09; St. Charles CC '14; WUSTL '1x) - additionally, question writer for playoffs in 2009. His company, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, wrote the questions from 2010 to 2015.
- Julia Price (MSA '07; Fort Zumwalt West '09) - wrote playoff questions in 2009 along with Charles Hang.
- Grant Gates (MSA '08; North Kansas City '10)
- Ikshu Neithalath (MSA '09; Clayton '11)
- Charlie Fritz (MSA '09; Villa Duchesne '11)
- Craig Chval (MSA '09; Rock Bridge '11; MSA RA '12)
- Michael Menkhus (MSA '12; Oakville '14)
- Jared Lockwood (MSA '13; Hallsville '15)
- Michael Powers (MSA '17; Louisiana '19)
- Samuel Lockwood (MSA '17; Hallsville '19)
- Jim Meyer (former quizbowl coach at Rock Bridge HS; MSA Scholar Bowl coordinator and faculty member)
- Frank Corley (former quizbowl coach at St. Louis University HS (SLUH); MSA faculty member)